So, I don't have much time to make a long post right now, but considering my second draft deadline for Part I is tomorrow I thought I'd drop in for a quick update!
I have one full chapter left to edit (chapter 2) and three scenes (within two other chapters) to complete before Part I is ready for printing!! This is one of the most exciting things ever. I mean, printing out an abridged version of Part II for a readthrough was exciting enough - but that was a first draft. I absolutely cannot wait to see a second draft (all pretty and formatted) in print. My printing is on Saturday and I am going to be a proud mama!
Just to give you an idea of the magnitude of Part I's edit:
- A full readthrough of the novel was done from February 13th to mid-March. My edit of Part I began in mid-March and will end tomorrow, so that's about two and a half or three months if you consider the breaks I took to retype Part III chapters and do a highlighter readthrough of Part II, times during which I did not work on Part I at all.
- The first step of the edit was reading the whole draft and removing irrelevant scenes. Then I actually remade all the chapter plans, followed by scene plans, to fugure out exactly which scenes I wanted where. Just making the plans took me about a week and a half because of other life obligations I had at the time.
- The first draft of Part I was 19 chapters and around 300 pages. The second draft is 10 chapters and approximately 90 pages.
Tomorrow, I will finally be able to say, "That's a BIG job done." Haha! And then comes time to work on Part II, which is the biggest problem area in the story right now. But now that I have some experience with editing, I feel confident that I'll be able to get through it!